Naturepedic

Naturepedic

Yoni steam supplies

http://www.soulvibrance.com/#_l_1f1

Book available now!

Book available now!

GREEN YOUR LIFE FOR BABY!

GREEN YOUR LIFE FOR BABY!
Free Coffee Bean Eye Cream

Search This Blog

My Favorite Green Baby Items

Thursday, May 13, 2010

How safe is your makeup???


Ever wonder what is in the makeup you wear everyday? As a Mom I rarely wear makeup anymore. When I do I want to be sure it is safe to be near my baby. After all, when I pick her up she is close to my face, wants to kiss me or chew on my fingers. She is inhaling and touching whatever I am wearing.

Environmental Working Group has a section called Skin Deep which tests products and rates their safety. As I researched the lists, I became more and more angry. Some of my own makeup which I bought at a health food store is somewhat hazardous. So much for thinking a health food store would stock non-toxic makeup! These companies need to be responsible. What about the celebrities endorsing the makeup, do you think they are aware of what they are really getting paid to endorse?

There is a Campaign for Safe Cosmetics which companies may or may not sign stating they will work toward safer products. The offending companies that contain hazardous ingredients include brands that you find at your local drugstore to the high end department store brands. There are even a few brands that have signed, but aren't complying with the guidelines.

Here is a cosmetic guide you can print out to help you determine which ingredients to avoid. Cosmetic guide It is sad that finding safe makeup from powders, foundation, eye shadow, mascara, and lipstick to nail polish, moisturizer, shampoo and toothpaste has become a scavenger hunt. See how your makeup and cosmetics rate. Change brands if your favorites are of concern.

The fact that companies are legally allowed to sell such products is astonishing. Do we not live in an age where almost everyone knows someone who has or has had cancer?? If your skin is the largest organ, you are absorbing these ingredients into your body on a daily basis. I'm not a Dr. or scientist, but this makes common sense to me that health concerns are likely to arise after repeated use. I even broke out in rashes during high school from some of my makeup. Now I know why! It seems to me that if a product contains an ingredient that could be deemed hazardous that it should be outlawed. Remember when people thought it was cool and hip to smoke?? Now look at the findings of the effects of smoking.

If you look around the Skin Deep website, there is even a petition to get celebrity perfumes "healthy". In a society where women strive to be young and beautiful, it shouldn't come with a price of poisoning themselves with makeup that can make them sick.

1 comment:

  1. Nice and Informative post about Safe Makeup. Will share on SMO sites.

    Source: V. SACHAR MD®

    ReplyDelete